Response to Daily Prompt
The first thing I thought of when I got the SING prompt was karaoke. We have a few karaoke bars here in Hilo and I have many fond memories of singing along in the background and even singing into the microphone. I have many girlfriends who love to sing and this is always a fun weekend activity. My friends are great singers and I really enjoy their music. I am not so musically talented and have only a few songs that I am willing to sing in public–Sweet Child O’ Mine, Losing My Religion, Tubthumping, and Peaches. (Extra credit for those of you who know Tubthumping and Peaches!) I have so many fond memories of times spent with good friends, with new friends and so much laughter.As I think more about the word sing, more wonderful thoughts come to me–in no particular order.
- The concerts my husband and I love going to–we loved Rolling Stones, Bruno Mars, Michael Jackson.
- The ballads my husband sings as he plays his guitar.
- Singing at the piano bar in San Francisco with Deaner.
- The songs my mother LOVED to sing–some for us and some for herself. Mommy was a great singer and I still remember the joy that music and singing brought to her life.
- Musicals I’ve been to. I can’t pick a favorite–there are so many great ones! Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, Beauty and the Beast, Les Miserables, Aida…
- My high school graduation song, Love Theme from St. Elmo’s Fire–hearing the lyrics still brings tears to my eyes.
- Most recently, yelling/singing the Bon Jovi song, Living on a Prayer, with my pals and strangers as we headed toward the finish line of the Zappos Bay to Breakers 2016 12K in San Francisco. #TakeMyHandWe’llMakeItISwear
- The songs my children sang in their annual school performances. Thank goodness I have the videos to help me remember those songs.
- The songs I used to sing to my children when they were infants and toddlers. The LONG song I would sing to help them fall asleep–Big A, Little A, What beings with A? Thank you, Dr. Seuss, for helping me raise my children.
- Singing on the bus with classmates–as a sixth grader while touring the East Coast and as a high school student while traveling with my cross country team members (and having Coach Hillier mock at least one of our awesome ’80s songs).
Our lives revolve around music and song. Music brings out specific memories in many of our lives. What are some of your favorite songs and the corresponding memories?