In January, Kadota Liquor and Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spirits presented a New Year Tasting with special guest Master Sommelier Michael Jordan.
This Michael Jordan is not quite as tall as the Michael Jordan you may be familiar with, but this one was an amazing wine educator with great stories. Michael grew up in Hawaii, learning the trade at an early age at his father’s iconic restaurant, Matteo’s. His father was even friends with Frank Sinatra!
This event was held at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel in the Mala Ikena Room right near the Queen’s Court restaurant.
There was a full house for this limited-seating event and it was a fun evening of wine, education and enjoyment!
- Benvolio Pinot Grigio Friuli
- Kendall-Jackson Vintners Reserve Chardonnay
- Willakenzie Pinot Gris Yamhill-Carlton District
- Matanzas Creek Sauvignon Blanc Sonoma Valley
- Edmeades Zinfandel Mendicino County
- Yangarra Estate Shiraz McLaren Vale
- Freemark Abbey Merlot Napa Valley
- Siduri Pinot Noir Santa Lucia Highlands
- Arcanum Il Fauno Toscano
- Hartford Zinfandel Old Vines Russian River Valley
- Galerie Cabernet Sauvignon Pleinair Napa Valley
- Bootleg Red Napa Valley
- La Jota Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain
- Donna Olimpia Bolgheri Superiore Millepassi
- Lassegue Grand Cru
- Cardinale Red Napa Valley
Some things that stood out that night–
- Some wine we tasted pairs well with game birds–perfect for our local bird hunters!
- If the grapes grow near something, it should pair well with that product.
- One wine pairs nicely with salad–perfect for my efforts to get fit. I’ll call it my diet wine.
- If you are eating a beef lower in fat, generally, you would choose a softer red wine. If the beef is higher in fat content, you can go for a heavier wine with more tannins.
- We tasted a lot of wine that night… I stopped taking notes after a while.
If you want to know more about any of these wines, just stop by Kadota Liquor and ask for Ryan! Living Hilo Style.