By Misty I.
December 23, 2020
I know Christmas is right around the corner and the last thing you want to do is go to the grocery store again. However, if you’re going anyway perhaps you could pick up the ingredients and make this quick pūpū for your family. I made it for my family after seeing the Pioneer Woman make this 1980s retro appetizer for a Christmas cocktail party. My family gobbled it up so quickly that I’ll double this amount next time.
Savory or Sweet Holiday Bacon Pūpū (adapted from the Pioneer Woman)
- 1 sleeve “club” type crackers
- ¼-⅓ C. brown sugar
- ¼-⅓ C. Parmesan cheese (from the green bottle is fine, save your real stuff for next week’s recipe)
- 1 lb. bacon, cut in half
The Order of Operations:
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Yes, 250 degrees not 350.
- Add 1 tsp. of brown sugar to the top of each cracker and wrap each cracker with ½ a piece (I stretched each ½ piece to about 5” long) until you’ve used half of the crackers and half of the bacon being careful not to spill the brown sugar everywhere. Place the bacon wrapped crackers on a rack that is placed over a sheet tray to catch the bacon drippings.
- Add 1 tsp. of Parmesan cheese to the remaining half of crackers and wrap with remaining bacon. Place on the rack with other crackers.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 2 hours.
- Note: we liked the brown sugar bacon appetizers more than the savory Parmesan ones. Next time I’ll do ⅔ brown sugar appetizers and ⅓ Parmesan appetizers. But it was fun having the option of both sweet and savory.
That’s it, only easy!! Happy “Hilo”days!