2016 BIIF Cross-Country Season is Upon Us
With a pre-season invitational relay race in Keaau, the 2016 BIIF cross-country athletes were able to have a bit of fun competition with each other this past Saturday. (Here is the link to a blog post that mentions the 2015 XC State Championship on Maui.)
This race at Christian Liberty is a team/relay event–meaning each member of the team is paired with another member of the team and they take turns running multiple times on
the same course. Each team member runs a total of three miles in one-mile segments for a total of six miles per relay team.
The usual schools participated in the event–Hilo High, Waiakea High, Kamehameha, Keaau High, Honokaa High, HPA, Konawaena High, Kohala High Kealakehe High participated and of course, the host, Christian Liberty Academy.
It started off with a light drizzle, but the course was much less muddy than it was last year. There were still some slips and falls by the speedy runners. There were some amazing freshman runners out there and it was exciting to see the running talent we have in our high schools.Team Results: Waiakea High School took the overall trophy for both their girls and boys teams. They have some great depth to their team with some awesome runners.
The individual runners who were on the top relay teams are listed below. Watch for these runners during this XC season. I’m looking forward to seeing the standout runners show their stuff as the official season gets under way on Saturday at HPA.
- Konawaena-Cody Ranfranz, Lawrence Barrett
- Waiakea-Rylie Cabalse, Adrian Larkspur, Slater Inouye, Eric Cabais-Fernandez, Shaun Kojima, Seneca Helfrich
- Hilo-Cole Dill-Desa, Sam Gibson, Steven Chung, Kovee Rivera
- Kealakehe-Ziggy Bartholomy, August O’Shea
- Waiakea-Saya Yabe, Ella Johnson, Evyn Prine, Jodi Go
- HPA-Zoe McGinnis, Zoe Ganley
- Kamehameha-Joey-Ann Cootey, Nevaeh Fukui-Stoos
- Honokaa-Shaleina Bird, Keighsha Walker, Sophia Cash, Kacie De Coito
- Hilo-Keiko Mills, Sam Marrack