By Misty I.
Summer is here! Woohoo!!!! What will you prepare for your summer get-togethers? You may like this cool treat, it can be made ahead of time and simply left to thaw for a few minutes before serving. I notice that mud pie appeals to all ages. However, if you don’t want to serve kids the classic version that contains coffee ice cream, make another pan with vanilla or our family favorite, mint chocolate chip!
You can make it in a 9”x13” pan for a thinner pie that can serve a crowd or make it in a 9” pie pan for a hefty pie like Huggo’s in Kona. I’m hoping this becomes one of your go-to desserts for summer 2018!
1 pkg. Oreo brand cookies (14.3 oz.), crushed (about 3 cups of crumbs)
½ C. Butter, melted
1 tub of chocolate ice cream
1 tub of coffee ice cream
Chocolate syrup or hot fudge sauce (optional)
Macadamia nuts (optional)
Whipped topping or whipped cream for garnish (optional)
- Remove both tubs of ice cream from the freezer about 20 minutes before assembling pie to soften.
- Crush cookies in a ziploc bag or food processor.
- Melt the stick of butter (½ cup) in the microwave until melted (about 35-45 seconds.)
- Combine melted butter with Oreo crumbs and press into desired pan (pie pan or 9×13.) Place pan in the freezer for a few minutes to allow butter in crust to harden.
- Add softened chocolate ice cream to the hardened Oreo crust. If using, add some chocolate syrup or fudge sauce at this point and put pan back into freezer to harden before adding next layer of ice cream (about 30 minutes.)
- Remove pan from freezer and add tub of coffee ice cream.
- Freeze overnight.
- To serve, add whipped topping, macadamia nuts, and/or chocolate syrup.
That’s it, only easy!