By Misty I.
November 20, 2019
Need a quick dessert for Thanksgiving? Although I love pumpkin, I learned a long time ago to make anything but a pumpkin dessert. What about pineapple upside down cake? Better yet, do you have access to starfruit? Perhaps you could make this, super easy!
Starfruit & Pineapple Upside Down Cake
½ C. butter (1 block)
1 C. brown sugar
2 ripened starfruit, ¼ slices and seeds removed
1 can (30 oz.) crushed pineapple, drained
1 box yellow cake mix
*1 ⅓ C water
*2 eggs (or 3 if you follow back of cake mix)
*Note: you may want to follow the directions on the back of the cake mix for a taller cake. My pineapple upside down recipe is really old and the size of box cake mix has changed from 18.25 ounce mix to 15.25 ounce since then. I feel like my cake was a little flatter than I remember. Therefore you’ll probably need one more egg, different amount of water and add oil if you follow back of cake mix.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add block of butter to a 9 x 13 inch pan and melt in the oven for a few minutes.
- Add the brown sugar to the melted butter and mix.
- Cut up starfruit and remove the seeds. Place on butter/sugar mixture.
- Top with crushed pineapple.
- Combine cake mix, 2 eggs and water. Beat for two minutes.
- Add cake batter onto crushed pineapple and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Invert onto serving platter.
That’s it, only easy! Happy Thanksgiving!