I may have killed many brain cells throughout my life. That is why I love taking photos or videos to help me remember moments since I can’t remember them on my own. Some things I remember:
- My dad’s dog Yobo in Louisiana.
- I don’t know if this is a real memory but I have a vague sense of being at a picnic in Louisiana and running (maybe my mom carried me) with everyone because an alligator came out of the water.
- Eating yummy fried bananas from a neighbor in Pepeekeo Mill Camp.
- The mountain apple tree and poinsettia outside my Mill Camp house.
- My kindergarten teacher dragging my sleeping bag away from a neighbor during nap time for talking too much.
- Our blue Chevy Nova and green Datsun pickup truck
- My dad heating up a can of Vienna sausage or something by putting the can in the engine area while driving us to the beach.
- Taking hula lessons at Dot’s Hula Studio on Saturdays while my mom shopped at KTA.
My mom and dad took a lot of photos (not as many as we take these days) and put them into albums. I love looking at them. Hopefully, my children — through the photos and videos we kept will have many fond memories of their childhood. What are some of your earliest memories? Hope they bring you a sense of comfort. Living Hilo Style.