Do you know any high school students who want an opportunity to participate in enrichment programs this summer? https://edvance.hawaii.hawaii.edu/summer-programs/
Hawaii Community College EDvance program is offering a variety of youth programs.
My son participated in the GenCyber camp last summer and learned a lot while gaining knowledge in a field that is in big demand now! Plus—it was FREE! Check it out!
- IS 101 – Building Bridges to Self and Community. Earn 3 college credits! Tuition assistance available through Kamehameha Schools.
- Auto Body Repair & Painting – Gain exposure to the repair process to vehicles in an Auto Body Shop. Hands-on activities include correct paint application techniques and the ability to identify paint problems. Learn metal straightening, application of plastic body fillers, application of various types of primers, sanding techniques, prep procedures, painting and detailing techniques. You’ll also acquire basic knowledge of color theory, color tinting, and blending techniques. Put all your skills to the test as you design your very own HydroFlask!
- Health & Human Services – You will build and gain a stronger sense of yourself, research careers and seek college opportunities in the Health and Human Services fields. Many have said that this course is life changing!!
- Administration of Justice – Become a part of the LAW! Gain an understanding of the criminal justice system. Learn more about the law, crime, law enforcement, the courts, and corrections. Explore careers in the criminal justice field and have the opportunity to meet & talk story with criminal justice professionals.
- Automotive Mechanics Technology – Why go to a mechanic when you can learn basics of the automotive industry here?! Learn about the modern automobile, theory, and function. You’ll also gain a basic understanding of safety precautions/procedures while operating and working on vehicles. Using your skills in English, Math, and Communication, you’ll be able to understand diagnostics, systems, sub-systems, and maintenance. You’ll also be able to expand your knowledge of sources for ordering parts for your current or future vehicle.
- Carpentry – Learn how to build a 2-person picnic table! Explore the basics of carpentry and the many opportunities in related fields with emphasis on safety and good work ethics. Yes, this is a hands-on class that will include using tools in the field like a handsaw, edge cutting, chisels, and block plane.
- Machine Welding and Industrial Mechanics Technology – Dive into the world of welding! Explore the basic fundamentals of welding using Oxygen and Acetylene and ARC welding equipment. Learn about the 37 Points of Basic Welding Safety, proper flame adjustment, welding machines, electrode numbers and so much more! Discover different techniques of cutting and welding through “hands-on” training!
- Youth Leadership Camp –
- Move through the various steps of forming a team and becoming a great leader in this week-long program!
- Learn to lead with authenticity and courage. Build and lead a great team through innovation and impact.
- Great for students who want to develop their leadership skills and look to hold student government positions.
- GenCyber Hawaii – The GenCyber Hawai‘i program provides summer cybersecurity camp experiences for students and teachers. The goals of the program are to help all students understand correct and safe online behavior, increase diversity and interest in cybersecurity and careers in the cybersecurity workforce of the Nation, and improve teaching methods for delivering cybersecurity content in K-12 computer science curricula.
- iOS Mobile App Development – Students will learn how to design and implement stand-alone iOS Mobile Apps with Apple Developer Tools and experience hands-on activities including UI (User Interface) fundamentals, local vs. remote data sources, and debugging.
- Intro to Coding with Altino Cars – Students will experience a hands-on introduction to the world of code writing through the use of robot Altino cars.
For more information–click on the link below!