Sa Shi Su Se So: Miso Butterfish
By Misty I.
We had Valentine’s dinner with a lot of family members this year. I wanted something easy that would go well with steaks. A colleague had just gone to Nobu Waikiki and that got me thinking about the tasty miso butterfish (aka miso black cod) my husband and I have had there.
After a quick google search, I landed on this miso black cod recipe from justonecookbook.com. Here is my modified version below:
1 (2 lb.) bag frozen black cod/butterfish (from KTA)
4 teaspoons salt to taste
¾ cup white miso (Maru-Hi)
6 tablespoons sake (haha…I used Sho Chiku Bai)
6 tablespoons mirin (Shirakiku)
- Thaw the fish.
- Salt the thawed fish for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, wipe the salt from the fish. (I didn’t use the sake method like justonecookbook.com)
- Place the fish in a large shallow dish.
- Mix together the sake, mirin, and miso and pour over the fish.
- Soak the fish in the sauce for TWO DAYS in the refrigerator.
- After two days, completely remove all the sauce from each filet.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place fish on foil AND parchment lined sheet pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Turn on “broil” for 3-4 minutes (watch it so it doesn’t burn!!)
That’s it, only easy!