The best way to celebrate birthdays is with good friends and good food.
I invited three friends out to Moon & Turtle to celebrate their December and January birthdays and we had a great time! We ordered everything on the menu — except for salad.
- Smokey Sashimi — Local ahi, kiawe-smoked soy, Hawaiian chili pepper water, EVOO
- Beef Tataki Sushi — seared, rare, dry-aged NY steak, grated daikon, dashi ponzu, garlic, chili, Koshihikari rice
- Seafood Dumplings — pan-fried, house-made fishcake wonton, bean sprouts, pickles, fish sauce, citrus, Hawaii chili, jalapenu, herbs
- Saigon Scampi — Head-on Kauai sweet prawns, garlic, wine, butter, Mom’s special fish sauce
- Market Fish — pan-roasted local mahi, potato, sour cream, and chive pierogi, braised cabbage, pickled local turnips, roasted bone veloute
- Mushroom Risotto — Hamakua and shiitake mushrooms, Koshihikari rice, white wine, Parmesan, truffle oil
- Portuguese Sausage Puttanesca — House-made pappardelle, Kulana Portuguese sausage, anchovy, capers, olives, Hawaiian chili, tomato
We loved everything and couldn’t finish all the food — it is a good thing we found even more friends to help us! Living Hilo Style.