Only Easy: Reese Witherspoon’s Chili Pie
By Misty I.
To me, Reese Witherspoon will forever be “Elle Woods” from Legally Blonde. My all-time favorite line from the movie is….
Warner: “You got into Harvard Law?”
Elle: “What? Like it’s hard?”
Cracks me up every time. I still love Reese and follow her on Instagram. I love her effortless and unpretentious Southern style.
This recipe is in her new book “Whiskey in a Teacup.” Reese explains that this is her favorite dish to make on weeknights that both kids and adults enjoy.
I had never had chili pie and didn’t quite know what to expect, this is my slightly modified version. If you’re lazy like me, this is a one-pot meal.
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 packets chili seasoning
1 can (about 1.25 lbs) diced tomatoes (Hunts fire-roasted garlic flavor)
1 can dark kidney beans
1 can chicken broth
2 (8.5 oz.) boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
⅔ cup milk
1 can corn, divided
1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Fry ground beef, ground pork onion and garlic in an oven-safe pot.
- Drain fat.
- Add diced tomatoes, chicken broth and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While chili is simmering prepare cornbread mixture mixing Jiffy mix, milk, eggs, 1 cup cheddar cheese and 1 cup of corn together. Do not overmix. Set aside.
- Add whatever is remaining from can of corn to the chili.
- Pour the cornbread batter over the chili mixture and bake for 35-40 minutes (I baked for 40) or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 10 minutes before serving.
- Reese suggests serving with green onion, sour cream, and salsa. We ate it with a salad.
Only easy, y’all!