By Misty I.
January 15, 2020
That was quick, we are already halfway through January! Over the holidays, one of my husband’s customers showered our family with some awesome goodies! In addition to a fresh whole opakapaka, cookies, seasoned salt, and chili pepper water he gifted us a bag of sweet potatoes.
I immediately knew I would save it to fry up some sweet potato tempura for our New Year’s Eve party.
Although making this isn’t hard to do, I feel like you should know it takes some time. This is an okazuya style tempura where the batter is a little sweet. The batter isn’t the type you dip a variety of veggies and shrimp into. Both orange and purple sweet potatoes work well, I’ve tried both. It’s also best to fry this outdoors so your kitchen stays clean!
Sweet Potato Tempura
- 2-3 lbs. sweet potatoes, steamed and sliced ¼”
- 1 C. sugar
- ⅔ C. milk
- 1 T. sake or water
- 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- Oil for deep frying
- Steam the sweet potatoes until tender then refrigerate if you want it easier to cut.
- Slice into ¼” slices.
- Mix the sugar, milk, sake, baking powder, salt, and eggs.
- Sift flour into wet ingredients. Mix just to combine.
- Heat your oil.
- Dip sweet potato slices into the batter and fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
That’s it, only easy!
Sweet potato tempura.
Did I miss something? How much flour?
Sorry! Thanks for letting us know. We updated the ingredients to include the flour.
Very good recipe will have to try it